The last few weeks have been quite eventful in the “wtf am I doing for the next few years” arena of my life, so I thought I should use this space to share a little bit bout that. I did some public agonizing on Twitter about the decision, so its only right to update y’all on the resolution.
For the last 2+ years, Vi and I have been dating while being 400 mi apart (her in the Bay, me in LA). Obviously, that gets old after a while, and the goal was to find a way to live in the same or adjacent cities sometime after Coro ended for me in May (crazy concept, I know). In addition, I was very interested in doing Teach for America. I was accepted last year into the Connecticut program, only to turn it down because while a 400mi relationship is possible, while a 3000mi one would not have been.
This year, I got a little smarter, and explicitly and strongly prefed SF and LA on my TFA app. To no avail- I was accepted, but into the NYC corps. At this point, I had less than two weeks to figure out if a) Vi could/would move to NY w/ me, b) we could make it work that far away, or c) I was willing to take a huge chance on a) or b) and accept TFA not knowing if either was true. In addition, I had neither job prospects nor any professional network to speak of up in the Bay, which made turning down TFA even harder.
In the end, I finally realized (again) that I wasn’t willing to risk my entire relationship with Vi for a job, even TFA. It was clearly impossible for her to make plans to move to NYC w/in 2 weeks, especially considering the job market in NYC right now is, uhhh, not good.
The other factor in the decision was discovering it was possible that my current Coro placement at the Los Angeles Parents Union (LAPU) wanted to keep me on full time after Coro ended. I’ve been loving my work there- it’s an org with a great mission, and feel like I’m able actually contribute in a meaningful way. They have made no secret about wanting me to stick around, but of course like any non-profit, finding money for a new position is never a guarantee.
So the plan/hope is now to stay in LA for the next year, working with the LAPU, and then do TFA next year (I actually deferred for a year rather than outright rejecting). Vi is currently trying to get transfered to her firm’s LA office. If all works out (with a capital IF), I could be in a sweet job, stay in LA, and have my significant other within 10 miles of me. Life would be good.
I should find out by the end of this week whether the job with LAPU works out. Vi should figure out her situation in the next few weeks. If either or both of those fall apart, it will probably be back to the job hunt for me, something I’m not looking forward to. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed, and of course I’ll let y’all know what happens.